On a positive note...

Sometimes it's hard to see the positive aspects of life, but I'm trying.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

What's wrong with being OCD?

I know several people that are OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). What I'd like to know is why is it considered a disorder because you like to have things a certain way? So what if I straighten the pictures on the wall in the doctors office? What if I pick up pieces of paper on the floor in someone else's home? So, I like things around me to be neat.

Just because it makes me a bit jumpy when I can't pick lint from someone else's coat while they're wearing it doesn't mean I have a disorder. As long as I resist the urge what does it matter? The woman in line in front of me the other night at the King Tut exhibit at LACMA has no idea how lucky she is I have such restraint. I am considering carrying my lint brush in my purse from now on. I mean, what's so OCD about offering someone the opportunity to be neat?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Bonnie said…

    I think what makes it a disorder is the inability to NOT obsess compulsively. Or to NOT compulse obsessively.

    Since you can NOT, you probably have something more like OCd rather than OCD. ;)

    People with full-blown OCD typically repeat behaviors not just b/c it's comforting to do so but also b/c they feel their family members will die if they don't tap the corner of a particular table a specific number of times every certain number of hours, etc.

    That's when it's a "D" for sure. ;)

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Xxaatm said…

    I love OCD'ers.
    They rock!
    http://xaatm.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home