On a positive note...

Sometimes it's hard to see the positive aspects of life, but I'm trying.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Yes David, there are now viruses for Macs.

One of the selling points my son, David, used to encourage his dad and I to buy a Mac was that there weren't any viruses to attack a Mac. Guess what? That's all changed since last summer. There are now two viruses and apparently we got one. I'm sitting here using the loaner that we have for the next two months while our computer is being repaired. The virus that attacked seems to have messed up the video RAM. I'm just happy we're still under warrenty.

For me, my relationship with a computer is kind of a love/hate thing. I enjoy the ease with which I can communicate with family and friends. Yet my lack of understanding the technology makes me feel inadequate and is upsetting at times like these. Even more upsetting is the thought that it was probably some 13 year old with nothing better to do that created the virus that attacked our computer. Little creep. I hope he has to wear braces for the next ten years.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Bonnie said…

    No there aren't...

    http://www.networkworld.com/weblogs/layer8/008841.html

    Remember to never ever... never believe a computer tech who tells you you've got a virus. They usually use that word to scare you...

    Mac computers do have to worry about one type of nastiness, a malware rootkit called Opener.

    Here's some more information:

    http://www.macintouch.com/security.html#virus

    btw, this is Keith, not Bonnie.

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Bonnie said…

    Oh, hey! That was Keith! Look at that!!!

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Lipp said…

    Keith is right. No Mac viri and hadn't heard of "Opener" before. I did find a quick mention of it on 1 of my favorite Mac sites.
    You may have had a bad stick of RAM. I just had to return one after getting all kinds of wanky behavior ending with numerous Kernel Panics. Once I replaced the bad memory all was well.

    Mac, the computer of choice for the creative professional.

    p.s. Bonnie is cuter than Keith

     

Post a Comment

<< Home